Wednesday, December 9, 2009

One of the Cold, Faithful Branches




Today I woke up to - 42 degree Celsius weather. 

Cold. Cold. Cold.

I just recently returned from the city of Vancouver. It was a great time in weather that rarely drops below 0. The city had so many people, with so many things to do, and so many places to eat, and such neat surroundings, and so many choices, and such diversity, and...

...and I found myself wishing I could be from a place like Vancouver. I started thinking about what life would be like if I was born of that city. What would life be like if I lived in that city? What things could I accomplish in that city?

I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Vancouver, and was thoroughly excited for those of my friends and family who have the priviledge of never needing to plug in their cars, who have over 1000 dining out options, who have mountains and ocean right at their fingertips, and...

...and I was truly excited for them...

...and yet, I realized that there is a reason why I have this yearning in my heart for Regina. I had a longing in my heart that was truly hard to explain for a place that was flat, and simple, and cold. 

I do not know for how long or for how short, but I felt encouraged by my trip to Vancouver, that I am called for now to the freezing tundra of Saskatchewan. This all may change one day, but until then, I will be faithful in my calling here. Not only will I be faithful, but I will be joyful, and proud to live in a place where a minute or two of skin exposure could lead to loss of limbs, and where the biggest news in town is a new chilis. 

I will live proudly, and faithfully, and joyfully in the place I am... because nothing can change where I am right now. For me to go elsewhere right now would be betraying this desire in my heart. 

I have decided to stop playing the comparison game. I always lose.

Be encouraged no matter where you are. No matter what you are doing. Do not be afraid to be proud and joyful about where God has you. 


1 comment: